Camp Douglas (1)
Camp Douglas (1) (1861-1865) - A U.S. Army camp and prison established during the U.S. Civil War in Chicago, Cook County, Illinois. Named for Illinois Senator Stephen Arnold Douglas, on whose property it was built after his death. Abandoned and the property sold in 1865.
Camp Douglas (1) History
Established in 1861 during the U.S. Civil War as a camp of instruction for Illinois recruits. Later it became an internment camp for captured Confederate soldiers.
The camp was on a 60 acre site bounded by present day Cottage Grove Ave., Martin Luther King Dr., E 31st St. and E 36 St. The main gate was at present day 32nd st. and Cottage Grove Ave. The camp was poorly sited on low ground with poor drainage and serious health problems plagued the Confederate prisoners who arrived at the camp. An estimated 15 to 17 percent of the prisoners died at the camp. A series of camp commanders provided uneven leadership and support for the prisoners. The camp had 17,880 prisoners at the beginning of 1865 and that was reduced to about 200 sick prisoners in August 1865. The camp was closed and the government property sale began on 24 Nov 1865.
No remains of the camp.