Camp Curtin (1861-1865) - A U.S. Civil War mobilization camp established in 1861 by Union forces in Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania. Named for then Governor Andrew G. Curtin. Abandoned at the end of the war in 1865.
U.S. Civil War (1861-1865)
Camp Curtin was established in Harrisburg as a Union training and mobilization center in April 1861 by Pennsylvania Governor Andrew G. Curtin. The camp became one of the largest Union moilization camps as a result of its proximity to the railroad and Washington, DC. More military units were organized here than any other Union camp and some 300,000 troops passed through the camp. The camp site was bounded by Reel's Lane on the North, the Pennsylvania Railroad on the East, Maclay Street on the South and 5th Street on the west for a total of some 80 acres of land. The camp became so crowded that some 14 satellite camps and facilities were established for specific functions.
After the end of the war Camp Curtin was used as a mustering out point for Union troops going home, it was officially closed on 1 Nov 1865.
A small state park at North 6th St. and Woodbine Street in Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania. The park contains a monument to Camp Curtin complete with a statue of Governor Curtin. This statue is one of four identical statues including one placed at his home, one at the Pennsylvania State Gettysburg Battlefield Memorial and one at the State Capitol Rotunda. At the base of this statue there are four plaques, two with some details of Camp Curtin and two with images of the camp. Three roadside markers are in the local area.
Visited: 19 Apr 2012
Camp Curtin Picture Gallery