Camp Cooper (1856-1861) - First established in 1856 by Major William J. Hardee and four companies of 2nd U.S. Cavalry on the Clear Fork Indian Reserve in Throckmorton County, Texas. Abandoned in 1861.
Camp Cooper History
Established on 2 Jan 1856 by Major William J. Hardee and four companies of 2nd U.S. Cavalry on the Clear Fork Indian Reserve.
The post was officially abandoned on 21 Feb 1861, and Captain Stephen D. Carpenter withdrew his command surrendered the site to Colonel Henry E. McCulloch.
On private property in Throckmorton County, Texas
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 759
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 158
Visited: Locale 15 Nov 2011