Camp Cooke (2)
Camp Cooke (2) (1866-1870) - A U.S. Army camp first established in 1866 on the south bank of the Missouri River just west of the mouth of the Judith River in Fergus County, Montana. It was named Camp Cooke after Brigadier General Philip St. George Cooke (Cullum 492), who served in the Mexican War, the Indian Wars, and the U.S. Civil War, and who was then commander of the Department of the Platte. The camp was abandoned in 1870.
A U.S. Army camp established on 11 Jul 1866 on the south bank of the Missouri River just west of the mouth of the Judith River. The camp was garrisoned by troops of the 13th U.S. Infantry to protect transportation routes in the area including steamboat traffic to and from Fort Benton (1). Camp Cooke was a large post with the garrison reportedly over 400 men at one point. The post was abandoned on 31 Mar 1870.
Archeological remains, the post is in a remote location and difficult to access.