Camp Colorado (2)
Camp Colorado (2) (1856-1865) - A U.S. Army Camp established in 1856 by Bvt Major Carl Van Dorn and two companies of the 2nd U.S. Cavalry, in present day Coleman, Coleman County, Texas. Named Camp Colorado in Special Order 98, 11 Aug 1856 after the Colorado River. Taken over by Texas State troops in 1861 and remained in Confederate hands until abandoned in 1865.
Camp Colorado (2) History
Established by Bvt Major Carl Van Dorn, 2nd U.S. Cavalry 2 Aug 1856. Located six miles north of the Colorado River on the road leading from Fort Mason to Fort Belknap. The post was moved in July 1857 to a healthier location 22 miles north of the original site on Jim Ned Creek.
The post was abandoned by Federal troops on 26 Feb 1861, taken over by Texas State troops and remained in Confederate hands until the end of the war in 1865. All of the Federal troops with the exception of Lt. George B. Cosby went into Confederate service. The camp was not regarrisoned after the end of the war and the property was sold.
Unknown near Coleman, Coleman County, Texas.