Camp Colfax (1865-1865) - Established 24 Aug 1865 by Company F, 1st Oregon Volunteer Infantry and probably named after congressman Schuyler Colfax of Indiana. Camp was burned to the ground 27 Dec 1865 and abandoned.
Camp Colfax History
The camp was established to protect the Dalles-Fort Boise Military Road and located where that road crossed Willow Creek. The camp had several log cabins with common walls to save logs and stone fireplaces.
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 133
- Carey, Charles H., History of Oregon, The Pioneer Historical Publishing Company, Chicago-Portland, 1922, 1016 pages, page 674
- McArthur, Lewis A. & McArthur, Lewis L., Oregon Geographic Names, Oregon Historical Society Press; 7 edition (December 2003), 1073 pages, ISBN 0875952771, ISBN 978-0875952772, page 143
- Oregon Military History, Forts-Camps-Roads
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 664