Camp Beauregard (4)
Camp Beauregard (4) (1861-1862) - A Confederate U.S. Civil War training and organization camp established in 1861 near Jackson, Madison County, Tennessee. Named Camp Beauregard presumably after Confederate General P.G.T. Beauregard, (Cullum 942). Abandoned in 1862.
Established in May 1861 with Colonel William H. Stephens, CSA. as its first commander Among the Confederate units activated and trained at Camp Beauregard were the:
The Normal procedure was for companies to organize in their home communities, then to repair here for organization into regiments.
In June 1862, Federal forces occupied the town and took control of the railroad junction to use the tracks as supply lines for their Mississippi campaigns. Union Major General Ulysses S. Grant headquartered in Jackson in the months surrounding the Battle of Shiloh.
Marker only. Located at the intersection of Hollywood Dr. and Airways Blvd.
Visited: 8 Sep 2020