Camp Baker (2)
Camp Baker (2) (1855, 1861-1865) - First established by volunteers as a Fort in 1855 during the Rogue River Indian War. Reestablished in Dec 1861 by the 1st Oregon Volunteer Cavalry as Camp Baker and named after Major General Edward D. Baker, U.S. Senator from Oregon, killed at the Battle of Ball's Bluff on 21 Oct 1861 during the U.S. Civil War. Abandoned in the summer of 1865.
Camp Baker (2) History
Camp Baker was established in December 1861 during the U.S. Civil War to watch over Confederate sympathizers in nearby Jacksonville. It became the Union recruiting center for southwestern Oregon.
The camp buildings were built of pine logs and Coleman Creek flowed through the camp.
DAR Marker only at the intersection of Camp Baker Road & Charlotte Lane near Phoenix, Jackson County, Oregon. The marker indicates that the site is 200 yards south of the marker. The GNIS database has a different location on the other side of Camp Baker Road.
Visited: 11 Nov 2013