Camp Atkinson (2)
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Camp Atkinson (2) (1830-1832) - A U.S. Army post established in 1830 by Captain George Birch, 7th U.S. Infantry, located on Lake Charles near where the Calcasieu River enters in the present day city of Lake Charles, Calcasieu Parish, Louisiana. Named for Brevet Brigadier General Henry Atkinson, 6th U.S. Infantry, who was the first Adjutant General of the United States Army. Abandoned in 1832. Also known as Cantonment Atkinson, Camp Lake Charles and Post at Calcasieu.
Camp Atkinson (2) History
Established by Company E, 7th U.S. Infantry early in 1830 with Captain George Birch commanding. This company was relieved by Company F, 3rd U.S. Infantry, who arrived on 7 Nov 1831. The change of command took place on 8 Nov 1831 and Company E departed the post on 10 Nov 1831. The relieving Company was commanded by Captain Harrison, this company later departed the post on 2 Jan 1832 and transferred to Fort Jesup, Louisiana.
Camp Atkinson was established to suppress smuggling from the Gulf up the Calcasieu River. The commanding officer of the troops was also appointed a customs inspector.
Marker only in Lake Charles, Calcasieu Parish, Louisiana.
Location: Lake Charles, Calcasieu Parish, Louisiana.
Maps & Images
Lat: 30.234 Long: -93.222
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 326
- North American Forts - Camp Atkinson
- History of Cantonment Atkinson
- Bilbo Cemetery and the Contonment Atkinson Marker
Camp Atkinson (2) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!