|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Camp Abbot (1943-1945) - A World War II training camp established 2 Sep 1943 to train combat engineers. Located at present day Sun River Resort, Deschutes County, Oregon. Named in G.O. 65, 4 Dec 1942, for Brigadier General Henry Larcom Abbot (Cullum 1632), USA. Deactivated in 1945.
Camp Abbot History
Established as an Army Engineer replacement and engineering center during World War II on the site where General Henry Larcom Abbot had camped some 100 years earlier during the Pacific Railroads Surveys. The camp was built in five months at a cost of over 4 million dollars.
Col. Frank Besson (Cullum 4762) was the camp commander during its short life. The camp trained over 100,000 military engineers.
The camp was purchased in 1960's and platted as "Sun River" Resort. The only building remaining today from the original camp is the officers club, now known as the Great Hall.
Location: Sun River resort, Deschutes County, Oregon
Maps & Images
Lat: 43.87197 Long: -121.4448
- Oregon Military History, Forts-Camps-Roads
- McArthur, Lewis A. & McArthur, Lewis L., Oregon Geographic Names, Oregon Historical Society Press; 7 edition (December 2003), 1073 pages, ISBN 0875952771, ISBN 978-0875952772, page 140
Visited: 12 Jun 2008, 25 Dec 2007
Camp Abbot Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!