Butler's Barracks

From FortWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Butler's Barracks (1814-1960s) - A British colonial barracks established in 1814 during the War of 1812 in present day Niagara-on-the-Lake, Niagara RM, Ontario, Canada. Named for Loyalist John Butler of the Revolutionary War Butler's Rangers. Transferred to the new Canadian government when the British left in 1871. Deactivated in the 1960s. Also known as Camp Kosciuszko and Camp Niagara.

Butler's Barracks Gun Shed
Butler's Barracks Officer's Quarters
Butler's Barracks and Military Museum

Butler's Barracks History

Butler's Barracks Plan from Park Sign

A British colonial barracks established in 1814 during the War of 1812 in present day Niagara-on-the-Lake. Established to provide a supply and quarters area for Fort George (7) and Fort Mississauga that was out of range of American guns across the Niagara River.

The Barracks expanded to 20 buildings by 1854 and encompassing six acres. Most of the buildings were included in a strong palisade but several buildings were outside the palisade. Those outside the palisade included the Commissariat Officer's Quarters, the Commandant's Quarters and the Hospital.

After the British departed Canada in 1870 Butler's Barracks became a militia training center and hosted the first training session in 1871.

During World War I Butler's Barracks first became a training camp for 14,000 soldiers of the 2nd Division of the Canadian Expeditionary Force. In October 1917 the Barracks became Camp Kosciuszko, home to the Polish Army in France who trained in Canada.

After the war the Barracks became Camp Niagara and during World War II it expanded to include most of the commons area. The post was used until the 1960s.

Current Status

Butler's Barracks Garrison Gun

Butler's Barracks National Historic Site, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Niagara RM, Ontario, Canada. Historic restoration of five buildings at the Butler's Barracks National Historic Site. The buildings include a barracks (1817), officer's quarters (1839), gun shed (1821), Commissariat House (1839) and 1950s era workshop. Period display guns and mortars.

Location: John Street in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Niagara RM, Ontario, Canada.

Maps & Images

Lat: 43.247868 Long: -79.074461



Visited: 7 Aug 2013

Personal tools

Google AdSense