Black Point Fort
Black Point Fort (1675-1677, 1681-1690, 1702-1720) - First established in 1675 during King Philip's War as a colonial settlers fort at present day Black Point in Scarborough, Cumberland County, Maine. Also known as Scottow Stockade Fort and Scottow's Fort after Joshua Scottow who provided the land for the fort. Other fortifications were established in the area in 1681-1690 and 1702-1720.
King Philip's War (1675-1678)
A colonial fortification built in 1675 by Joshua Scottow to defend his property and the town at Black Point from hostile Indians. The fort was attacked and taken in October 1676 by hostile Indians under Chief Mogg Heigon after being abandoned by the townspeople. Some thirty families returned and reoccupied the town after the fort was regarrisoned by troops from Massachusetts under Lieutenant Bartholomew Tippen. In May 1677, Chief Mogg again besieged the fort and the town. Chief Moag was killed on 16 May 1677 by Lieutenant Tippen during a frontal attack on the fort and the siege ended.
King William's War (1689-1697)
A second fortification was built at Black Point about a half mile north of Great Pond (now Massacre Pond) in 1681 and abandoned along with the town in 1690. Known as Captain Joshua Scottow's Fort.
Queen Anne's War (1702-1713)
Eight settlers returned and a third post was established in 1702 as Jocelyn's Fort named after Henry Jocelyn and John Jocelyn. This post was established on the western side of Garrison Cove during Queen Anne's War and was unsuccessfully besieged by some 500 French and their Indian allies. Abandoned as a fortification about 1720.
Markers only, two markers located on Black point road, Cumberland County, Maine. One marker at Garrison Cove and another at Western Cove.
Visited: 5 Jun 2013