Bellona Arsenal

From FortWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Fort Calendar Fort Blogs

Bellona Arsenal (1816-1837, 1863-1865) - A U.S. Army arsenal established in 1816 after the War of 1812 along the James River in Chesterfield County, Virginia. Named for the Roman goddess of war, Bellona. Abandoned as a U.S. arsenal in 1837. Leased to the Confederate Government in 1863 during the U.S. Civil War and operated as a Confederate arsenal until Richmond fell in 1865.

Bellona Arsenal Wokshop HABS Photo

Bellona Arsenal History

Established in 1816 after the War of 1812 adjacent to the Bellona Foundry. The foundry had been established in 1814 to provide ordnance to the federal government and the Arsenal provided for acceptance and storage of the heavy ordnance produced at the foundry from 1817 until it closed in 1837.

The old arsenal was leased to the Confederate Government in 1863 and operated as a Confederate arsenal until Richmond fell in 1865.

Current Status

Ruins in Chesterfield County, Virginia


USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry:

  • Name: Bellona Arsenal Ruins Type: Class: Locale ID: .....
  • Location: Chesterfield County, Virginia, US, FIPS Code: 51041
  • Latitude: 37.5545915, Longitude: -77.6174896, Elevation: 210 Map: Bon Air
  • As Of: 28 Sep 1979
Source: U.S. Board on Geographic Names

Location: Chesterfield County, Virginia.

Maps & Images

Lat: 37.554181 Long: -77.61763

Sources:

Links:

Visited: No

Bellona Arsenal Picture Gallery

Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!

Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
content
Share
Google AdSense
Toolbox