Battery Sill (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Battery established in 1861 in Northwest Washington DC. Named Battery Sill after Brigadier General Joshua W. Sill, (Cullum 1581), who was killed 31 Dec 1862 at the battle of Murfreesborough, Tennessee. Battery site abandoned at the end of the war in 1865.
History of Battery Sill
One of the ring of Union fortifications surrounding Washington DC during the U.S. Civil War, see Washington DC Fort Ring.
Established in 1861 as an earthen field gun battery with emplacements for nine guns. The battery was not normally armed but was a prepared site meant to be armed by a mounted battery in case of attack. The battery was located close to Rock Creek between Fort De Russy and Fort Stevens.
The site was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
Trace remains, no markers.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 531066
Location: Behind 1615 Manchester Lane, Rock Creek Park, Northwest Washington DC. Map point is not exact.
Maps & Images
Lat: 38.96111 Long: -77.03833
- Cooling, Benjamin F. III and Owen, Valton H. II, Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington, Scarecrow Press, 2009, ISBN 0810863073, ISBN 9780810863071, 334 pages.
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 138.