Battery Point Fort
Battery Point Fort (1863-1864) - A Confederate six gun battery established in 1863 in Liberty County, Florida. Abandoned in 1864.
A Confederate six gun battery established in 1863 to protect the Apalachicola River from Union gunboats. The battery was built into a bluff at a bend in the river. The armament was all smoothbore cannons and included two 32-pounders, one 24-pounder, and three 18-pounders. In February 1864 as Union General Truman A. Seymour advanced west from Jacksonville the battery was withdrawn and participated in the Union defeat at the battle of Olustee.
Part of Torreya State Park, Liberty County, Florida.
Visited: 25 Jan 2012