Battery Morris (3) (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Battery established in 1861 in Northeast Washington DC. Abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Battery Morris
One of the ring of Union fortifications surrounding Washington DC during the U.S. Civil War, see Washington DC Fort Ring.
Established in 1861 as a earthworks gun battery with emplacements for seven field guns. Guns not normally in place.
The battery was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
No remains, no markers.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 1680424
- Cooling, Benjamin F. III and Owen, Valton H. II, Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington, Scarecrow Press, 2009, ISBN 0810863073, ISBN 9780810863071, 334 pages.
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 138.