Battery Mitchell (1)
Battery Mitchell (1) (1904-NA) - Battery Mitchell was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 3 inch coastal gun battery on Middle Point Military Reservation across from Fort Ward (2), Washington. The battery was named in G.O. 194, 27 Dec 1904, after 1st lt. Robert B. Mitchell, U.S. Army Artillery Corps, who died 17 May 1904. Battery construction started in 1900, was completed in 1903 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 18 Jan 1904 at a cost of $ 9,473.00. Never armed.
Endicott Period (1890-1910)
Part of the Harbor Defense of Puget Sound. Built to provide protection for the Bremerton Navy Yard and the Rich Passage.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery for two 3" M1903 guns on pedestal mounts. This battery was a two story battery with both guns on the upper level and a separate magazine for each gun below. A bombproof was also provided for each position. The battery was a bit unusual because it was enclosed in concrete on all sides and the upper level was flush with the ground. This battery was never armed.
In Manchester State Park, Kitsap County, Washington. No period guns or mounts in place.
Recent Blog Posts
Visited: 18 Apr 2010
Battery Mitchell (1) Picture Gallery