Battery Mahan (2) (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War gun battery established in 1861 in Northeast Washington DC. Named Battery Mahan presumably after Dennis H. Mahan (Cullum 361), Professor of Engineering at the United States Military Academy (1832-1871), as was the nearby Fort Mahan. Abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Battery Mahan
One of the ring of Union fortifications surrounding Washington DC during the U.S. Civil War, see Washington DC Fort Ring.
Established in 1861 as an outworks of Fort Mahan with emplacements for four field guns that were not normally in place.
The battery was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
No remains, no markers.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 1680420
- Cooling, Benjamin F. III and Owen, Valton H. II, Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington, Scarecrow Press, 2009, ISBN 0810863073, ISBN 9780810863071, 334 pages.
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 137.