Battery Lanthorn - West Point
Battery Lanthorn - West Point (1778-1783) - A Patriot Revolutionary War battery first established in 1778 at Gee's Point on West Point, Orange County, New York. Lanthorn is another name for lantern and it is possible that this was the site of some type of signal or navigation lantern. The battery was abandoned in 1783 at the end of the war.
History of Battery Lanthorn - West Point
Part of Fortress West Point.
The battery was located at Gee's point about the same elevation as the Chain Battery, approximately 20' above the river. It was established in the spring of 1778 to cover the Great Chain and the southern approach to the point. Some sources indicated that Battery Lanthorn was a three gun battery but it mounted only two 9-pounder cannons in a 28 Jun 1779 West Point ordnance report. Major General Benedict Arnold also reported two 9-pounders in place in his 25 Sept 1780 report to British Major John Andre.
The battery was abandoned in 1783 at the end of the war.
Possibly some stone remains, but most probably overbuilt by later lighthouse construction. On active Military installation and access may be restricted.