Battery Kingsbury (2) (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Battery established in 1861 in Northwest Washington DC. Named Battery Kingsbury in G.O. 83, 1 Apr 1863, after Colonel Henry W. Kingsbury, (Cullum 1891), Connecticut Volunteers (first lieutenant 5th U.S. Artillery), who was mortally wounded, 17 Sep 1862, at the battle of Antietam in Maryland. Battery abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Battery Kingsbury
One of the ring of Union fortifications surrounding Washington DC during the U.S. Civil War, see Washington DC Fort Ring.
Established in 1861 as an earthworks gun battery with emplacements for nine guns.
The battery was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
Trace remains, no markers.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 1680419
- Cooling, Benjamin F. III and Owen, Valton H. II, Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington, Scarecrow Press, 2009, ISBN 0810863073, ISBN 9780810863071, 334 pages.
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 136.