Battery Cameron (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Battery established in 1861 in Northwest Washington DC. Named Battery Cameron in G.O. 18, 30 Sep 1861. Battery abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Battery Cameron
One of the ring of Union fortifications surrounding Washington DC during the U.S. Civil War, see Washington DC Fort Ring.
Established in 1861 as an earthworks gun battery with emplacements for four guns. Initial armament included only two 42 pounder James rifled guns and later included two 100 pounder Parrott guns. Overlooked the Potomac River from Chain Bridge to Aqueduct Bridge.
A 17 May 1864 report from the Union Inspector of Artillery noted the following: "Battery Cameron, Maj. George W. Sabine commanding.–Garrison, one company First Maine Heavy Artillery–1 major, 5 commissioned officers 1 ordnance-sergeant, 146 men. Armament, two 42-pounder James (rifled), two 100-pounder Parrotts. Magazines, one; dry and in good order. Ammunition, full supply and serviceable. Implements, complete and serviceable. Drill in artillery, fair. Drill in infantry, ordinary. Discipline, fair. Garrison is stronger than necessary."
The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
No remains, no markers. The site is reportedly overbuilt with a covered reservoir near the intersection of Foxhall Rd NW and Whitehaven Parkway NW in Washington DC.
Location: Near intersection of Foxhall Rd and Whitehaven Parkway, Northwest Washington DC. Map point is approximate.
Maps & Images
Lat: 38.91564 Long: -77.0888
- Multi Maps from ACME
- Maps from Bing
- Maps from Google
- Elevation: .....'
- Cooling, Benjamin F. III and Owen, Valton H. II, Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington, Scarecrow Press, 2009, ISBN 0810863073, ISBN 9780810863071, 334 pages.
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 134.