Battery Arizona (1943-1948) - Battery Arizona was a reinforced concrete, World War II 14 inch coastal gun battery on Kahe Point Military Reservation, Honolulu County, Hawaii. This battery was constructed using a U.S. Navy triple gun turret removed from the sunken battleship USS Arizona (BB-39). Named Battery Arizona on 21 Oct 1942. Battery construction started in 1943 and was almost completed 1 Aug 1945 when construction was halted. The Battery was placed in caretaker status at the end of the war and abandoned by 1948.
World War II (1941-1945)Part of the Harbor Defense of Pearl Harbor.
Built as a World War II concrete coastal gun battery with three 14" Mark VIII Navy guns and a turret removed from the sunken USS Arizona. Battery construction started in 1943 and continued through the end of the war and was almost completed 1 Aug 1945 when Construction was halted.
The battery structures were mostly underground and included the central barbette that extended 70' underground and mounted the three gun turret on the top. At the base of the barbette column two separate entrances brought the powder and projectiles to the lifts for transport to the loading level. These entrances lead to the powder and projectile magazines which were in two parallel underground corridors. A power generator room was at the far end of the projectile magazine. A separate corridor housed the radar equipment, plotting room, switchboard and offices. Access to the three underground corridors was provided by two access tunnels that led to the outside road. The left hand tunnel led to the power room and projectile magazine. The right hand tunnel led to the power room, powder magazine and the equipment/office corridor.
The above ground structures included the Battery Commander's Station (BCS) and a 100' steel tower for the SCR-296A radar antenna.
By Aug 1945 the turret and the guns had been mounted, the SCR-296A radar was installed but missing some components. Construction was halted on 31 Aug 1945, the battery was placed in caretaker status at the end of the war and abandoned by 1948. The guns and the turret were scrapped.
Underground structures largely intact the site is the on the Waimanalo Gulch Landfill. Restricted access. Fire Control Station now has a locked door to secure the upper ladder access. Lower entry gate's access "hole" had been blocked. No period guns or mounts in place.