Battery AMTB 945
Battery AMTB 945 (1943-1946) - Battery AMTB 945 was a reinforced concrete World War II AMTB rapid fire 90mm gun battery on Fort Heath, Suffolk County, Massachusetts. Battery construction started in 1943, was completed in 1943 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use in 1943. Deactivated in 1946.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Boston, Massachusetts.
The AMTB battery at Fort Heath consisted of two 90mm guns mounted on 90mm M3 fixed gun mounts, two 90mm guns mounted on 90mm M1A1 mobile gun mounts and two 37mm guns on mobile mounts. Concrete pads were provided for both fixed guns and often wooden gun platforms were provided for the mobile guns. Electric power was provided by M-7 portable generators.
The battery had a dual mission of defense against fast enemy motor torpedo boats and enemy aircraft. The effective range of the guns was about 8,000 yards or 4.5 miles. Each weapon required a crew of 15, 9 men in the gun squad and 6 men in the ammunition squad.
Destroyed and over built. No period gun or mounts in place.