Battery 155 - Middle Cove
Battery 155 - Middle Cove (1942-1945) - Battery 155 - Middle Cove was a temporary, World War II, 155mm coastal gun battery emplaced on concrete Panama mounts. Located near Middle Cove, Newfoundland.
Part of the Harbor Defense of St. John's.
One of three prepared battery locations for mobile 155mm guns for the defense of St. John's Harbor, Newfoundland. The three locations were not normally armed but were prepared with circular concrete Panama mounts ready for quick deployment of the guns and carriages from a central location. Only two guns and carriages were in storage. The three battery locations were collectively identified as tactical battery #2 (TAC-2) on the U.S. World War II Harbor Defense Plan.
Originally built as a temporary World War II coastal gun battery for two 155mm M1918 rapid fire guns mounted on M1918 mobile carriages. The location at Middle Cove provided a 180 degree field of fire to the northwest of 17,400 yards (about 10 miles). This field of fire covered most of the northern end of the Avalon Peninsula, the upper reaches of Conception Bay and the northern approaches to St. John's Harbor.
As of 31 Dec 1944, Battery C of the 24th Coast Artillery Battalion was assigned to the TAC-2 guns.
No period guns or carriages in place. Some remains of the Panama mounts.