Baton Rouge Arsenal
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Baton Rouge Arsenal (1826-1869) - A U.S. Army arsenal established in 1826 as an arms depository and depot in Baton Rouge, East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana. The arsenal and the adjacent Baton Rouge Barracks were surrendered to Louisiana State Militia forces at the beginning of the U.S. Civil War and later in 1861 were transferred to CSA control. Returned to Union control in 1862. Abandoned as an arsenal in 1869.
Baton Rouge Arsenal History
Construction began in 1819 on a powder magazine and ordnance building. The ordnance building was defective and was rebuilt in 1828. The main arsenal building was built in 1829 and destroyed by a storm after the U.S. Civil War.
The arsenal and the adjacent Baton Rouge Barracks were surrendered to Louisiana State Militia forces on 10 Jan 1861 at the beginning of the U.S. Civil War and later in 1861 were transferred to CSA control.
Union forces took back the barracks and arsenal for the duration of the war after the battle of Baton Rouge, 5 Aug 1862. They constructed an earthworks around both the arsenal and the barracks that was named Fort Williams (2) after Union General Thomas Williams who was killed in the battle of Baton Rouge. After the U.S. Civil War the arsenal was used to store surrendered arms and ordnance from dismantled fortifications.
Discontinued as an arsenal in 1869. A public sale was held in 1870 to dispose of the accumulated weapons and other gear. In Jun 1871 ordnance department personnel were withdrawn and the post was used by the Infantry and quartermaster.
|1839||1841||2nd Lieutenant||Dearborn, Alexander H.||946|
|1841||1843||1st Lieutenant||Whitely, Robert H. K.||599|
|1843||1844||2nd Lieutenant||Dyer, Alexander B.||896|
|1849||1849||1st Lieutenant||McNutt, John||1019|
|1851||1853||Captain||Morgan, James M.||795|
|1853||1855||Major||Todd, John W.||1541|
|1855-03||1856-06||Captain||Rodman, Thomas J.||1065|
|1861||1861||Captain||Booth, John C.||1392||Confederate|
|1861-01-12||1861-07-09||Colonel||Sully, Alfred||1092||Infantryman in command|
|Dates are formatted in yyyy-mm-dd to sort correctly.|
The Cullum Number is the graduation order from the United States Military Academy by year and class rank and links to a page for the officer on the website version of the Cullum Register. Listings without a Cullum Number indicate that the person was not a graduate of the United States Military Academy.
The 1838 powder magazine remains as a museum in Baton Rouge, East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry:
- Name: Old Arsenal Building Type: Historical Class: Military ID: 552815
- Location: East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana, US, FIPS Code: 22033
- Latitude: 30.4576905, Longitude: -91.1845518, Elevation: 52 Map: Baton Rouge West
- As Of: 1 Jan 1994
- Source: U.S. Board on Geographic Names
Location: 900 State Capitol Dr, Baton Rouge, East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana.
Maps & Images
Lat: 30.4576905 Long: -91.1845518
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 328
- North American Forts - Baton Rouge Arsenal
- Old Arsenal Museum
- Surrender of the Arsenal and Barracks in 1861 (Louisiana History 2.401‑403)
Baton Rouge Arsenal Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!