Augusta Arsenal (1)
Augusta Arsenal (1) (1816-1826, 1827-1861, 1861-1865, 1865-1955) - A U.S. Army arsenal established in 1816 after the War of 1812 in Richmond County, Georgia. The original site was abandoned because of unhealthy conditions and a new site was established 1827. The Federal arsenal was seized by Confederate forces in 1861 and held until the end of the U.S. Civil War in 1865. Restored as a Federal arsenal in 1865 and operated until abandoned in 1955.
Augusta Arsenal (1) History
The U.S. Army arsenal at Augusta was established in 1816 after the War of 1812. The original site near King Mill was abandoned after a Black fever epidemic killed many in the garrison. A new 70‑acre site was established 1827 and completed in 1828. The site had two sets of officer's quarters, a barracks and a storehouse all enclosed inside a loopholed wall. The first garrison was Company C, 2nd U.S. Artillery.
The Federal arsenal was seized by Confederate forces on 24 Jan 1861, five days after Georgia seceded from the Union. Captain Arnold Elzey (Cullum 923) and his garrison of 80 men surrendered the arsenal. The arsenal was held by the Confederates until May 1865 at the end of the U.S. Civil War.
Restored as a Federal arsenal in 1865 and operated until abandoned in 1955. During World War II the arsenal greatly expanded to include some fifty buildings and a thousand workers producing weapons and ammunition.
The arsenal was abandoned in 1955 and the property was transferred to the Board of Education. It eventually became the Junior College of Augusta in 1957.
Located on the campus of present day Georgia Regents University (formerly Augusta State University), Richmond County, Georgia. Some remaining original buildings including officer's quarters.