Albert Head Battery
Albert Head Battery (1939-1956) - Albert Head Battery was a World War II Canadian reinforced concrete 9.2 inch coastal gun battery at Albert Head, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada. Deactivated in 1956.
World War II (1939-1945)
This battery was designed with a counter-bombardment role to be armed with three 9.2-inch MK10 guns on modern 35 degree elevation mounts. The Battery was initially armed with two relined 9.2-inch MK10 guns on 15 degree MK5 mounts transferred from Signal Hill Battery as an "Interim Plan". A third gun was added and became operational in March 1943 on an experimental MK7, 30 degree mounting. The original two guns were later remounted on the MK7 experimental 30 degree mountings during 1944.
After the end of the war the battery remained in reserve status until it was decommissioned 1956. The guns and mounts were shipped to Turkey for NATO use.
The emplacements still exist on CFB Esquimalt Albert Head military training facility, no public access, no period guns or mounts in place.
Albert Head Battery Picture Gallery