84th U.S. Infantry Division

From FortWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

84th U.S. Infantry Division (1917-Present) - The Headquarters, 84th Division was constituted on August 5, 1917 in the National Army and was organized on August 25, 1917 at Camp Zachary Taylor, Kentucky. It was demobilized July 26, 1919 at Camp Zachary Taylor, Kentucky.

It was reconstituted June 24, 1921 in the Organized Reserves as Headquarters, 84th Division and organized September 28, 1921 at Indianapolis, Indiana.

It was redesignated on February 23, 1942 as Division Headquarters, 84th Division and ordered into active military service on October 15, 1942 and reorganized at Camp Howze, Texas, as Headquarters, 84th Infantry Division. It was inactivated on January 21, 1946 at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey.

On December 19, 1946, it was redesignated as Headquarters, 84th Airborne Division and activated September 24, 1947 at Madison, Wisconsin. The Division moved to Milwaukee, Wisconsin on November 17, 1947 and to Madison, Wisconsin on March 15, 1948. (The Organized Reserves redesignated on March 25, 1948 as the Organized Reserve Corps and was redesignated on July 9, 1952 as the Army Reserve.) On March 1, 1952, the Division was reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters, 84th Infantry Division and moved to Milwaukee, Wisconsin on August 20, 1957. It was reorganized and redesignated on May 18, 1959 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 84th Division (Training). In April 1995, the Division was renamed 8th Division (Institutional Training).

Organization Name:

  • 84th Division (25 Aug 1917 - 26 Jul 1919)
  • 84th Division (28 Sep 1921 - 14 Oct 1942)
  • 84th Infantry Division (15 Oct 1942 - 21 Jan 1946)
  • 84th Airborne Division (24 Sep 1947 - 1 Sep 1952)
  • 84th Infantry Division (1 Mar 1952 - 17 May 1959)
  • 84th Division (Training) (18 May 1959 - Apr 1995)

Source:

Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
content
Share
Google AdSense
Toolbox