Columbia Arsenal
Columbia Arsenal (1888-1902) - A U.S. Army arsenal established in 1888 in present day Columbia, Maury County, Tennessee. Abandoned in 1902. Also known as Camp Hamilton during the Spanish-American War.
Columbia Arsenal History
The 67 acres for the arsenal was deeded to the U.S. Government on 26 Nov 1888 and the government spent approximately $450,000.00 on the nine stone buildings and equipage for the arsenal. During the Spanish-American War the post was known as Camp Hamilton and was used train Spanish-American War troops.
The arsenal was abandoned in 1902 and conveyed by act of Congress, 23 Apr 1904, to the Columbia Military Academy for use as a military school. The military academy closed in 1978.
Current Status
Now the Columbia Academy in Columbia, Maury County, Tennessee.
Context
Location:
Columbia Academy, Ruby Brown Drive & Trotwood Dr. in Columbia, Maury County, Tennessee.
Lat: 35.613° Long: -87.058° Elevation: 630'
Bing, Google,
OldMapsOnline,
USGS, OHM
Sources:
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 739
- USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 1680616
Links:
Related:
Camp Hamilton, Columbia Arsenal, Encyclopedia of Historic Forts,