Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego
Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego (1921-Present) - A Marine Corps post first established in 1921 as Marine Advanced Expeditionary Base, San Diego in San Diego County, California. Named Marine Corps Recruit Depot (MRCD), San Diego on 1 Jan 1948. Active military installation.
History of Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego
Established 2 Mar 1919 on a 232 acre tideland known as Dutch Flats. Commissioned on 1 Dec 1921 by General Joseph Pendleton as the Marine Advanced Expeditionary Base, San Diego. The Marine Recruit Depot for the west coast was relocated from Mare Island to the San Diego post in 1923. On 1 March 1924, the post became, Marine Corps Base, San Diego.
Marine recruit training expanded during World War II and after the war the post was renamed Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego on 1 Jan 1948. The post expanded during the Korean War and the Vietnam War to meet increased recruit training levels and recruit training continued to meet troop requirements during the conflicts in Iraq and Afganistan.
Active military installation, Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, San Diego County, California. Currently a 388 acre installation located next to the San Diego Airport. Built in the Spanish colonial revival style with many historic buildings. Features a large central parade ground, known as the "parade deck", lined on the north side by a 1000 foot long arcade and on the south side by a large reviewing stand in front of barracks and classrooms. At the east end of the parade is a massive auditorium and on the west end is the headquarters building. The excellent Command Museum is located at the northeast corner of the parade.
Visited: 26 Nov 2014