Fort Williams (3)
Fort Williams (3) (1814-1814) - A Creek Indian War Fort first established in 1814 by General Andrew Jackson near Talladega Springs, Talladega County, Alabama. Named Fort Williams after Colonel John Williams, 39th U.S. Infantry. Abandoned later in 1814.
History of Fort Williams
Established in 1814 by General Andrew Jackson during his campaign against the Creek Indians. General Jackson built Fort Williams and then moved on with a force of 3,000 soldiers and 600 Indian allies to the Battle of Horseshoe Bend. He left behind a small garrison at Fort Williams and his sick and wounded troops. Jackson prevailed at the Battle on 27 Mar 1814 and effectively ended the Red Stick Indian resistance. He returned to Fort William to collect the garrison and abandoned it.
Under the lake created by Mitchell Dam on the Coosa River near Talladega Springs, Talladega County, Alabama.