Fort Harrison (4)
Fort Harrison (4) (1862-1865) - An earthworks U.S. Civil War post established in 1862 by Confederate forces near Richmond in Henrico County, Virginia. Named for Lieutenant William Harrison, a Confederate engineer. Captured by Union forces 29 Sep 1864 and renamed Fort Burnham after Union Brigadier General Hiram Burnham who was killed in the Union assault on Fort Harrison. Held by Union forces for the remainder of the war and abandoned in 1865.
Fort Harrison (4) History
A Confederate fort established in 1862-1863 for the defense of Richmond. This was a large earthworks fort strategically located in a line of fortifications connected by earthworks. Recognizing the strategic importance, Union forces mounted an attack on the fort on 29 Sept 1864 and overcame the fort's defenders. Nearly all 200 of the defenders were killed or captured. Confederate forces led by General Robert E. Lee himself mounted a counterattack the next day but failed to recapture the fort and suffered some 1000 casualties. Union forces then attempted to capture the other fortifications in the line but failed. The confederates reworked their defensive line to compensate for the loss of Fort Harrison and to keep the Union garrison bottled up. The result was a standoff and the Union forces were unable to advance on Richmond.
Fort Harrison was renamed Fort Burnham after Union Brigadier General Hiram Burnham who was killed on the parapet in the initial Union assault on the Fort. The fort was held by Union forces for the remainder of the war and abandoned in 1865.
Part of the Richmond National Battlefield Park, Henrico County, Virginia. This site is the location for the Richmond National Battlefield Park Visitor Center.
Visited: 29 Mar 2012