Camp Hualpai (1869-1873) - A U.S. Army camp established as Camp Toll Gate in 1869 at the close of the Hualapai War by Major William R. Price, 8th U.S. Cavalry, in present day Yavapai County, Arizona. Renamed Camp Hualapai in 1870. Abandoned in 1873. Also known as Camp Devin and Fort Hualapai.
This post was established 9 May 1869 as Camp Devin and quickly renamed Camp Toll Gate because it was built along the Hardyville-Prescott toll road. It was later renamed Camp Hualpai on 1 Aug 1870.
The camp was abandoned 31 Jul 1873 and later transferred to the Department of Interior.
Some ruins remain, Yavapai County, Arizona
Location: On mesa above Walnut Creek, Yavapai County, Arizona. Map point may not be accurate.
Maps & Images
Lat: 34.93019 Long: -112.84087
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 40
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2,page 13