Jump to content

Camp White

From FortWiki
Revision as of 09:52, 20 August 2026 by John Bray (talk | contribs) (Bot: Automated import of articles *** existing text overwritten ***)


See also Fort White, Battery White
Camp White (1942-1946) - A World War II Army camp in Jackson County, Oregon. Construction began on 25 Feb 1942 and was completed on 14 Dec 1942. Camp White was named after Major General George A. White, an adjutant general of the Oregon National Guard. Camp White was deactivated in Apr 1946.

|colspan="2"|

History

The camp encompassed 77 square miles and trained over 110,000 troops during its lifetime. At one point, it was the second-largest city in Oregon.

The camp core was a mile-wide rectangle with the camp hospital occupying an angled portion on the west side of Crater Lake Highway. This core was flanked by two huge field ranges for training and maneuvers

Current Status

The hospital area remains and is now the Veterans Affairs’ Southern Oregon Rehabilitation Center and Clinic.

Context

Location: Near White City, Jackson County, Oregon. Map point indicates the site of the old Camp Hospital area.
Lat: 42.442° Long: -122.84° Elevation: 1300' Bing, Google, OldMapsOnline, USGS, OHM

Loading map...

Sources:

Links:

Related:
Battery White, Encyclopedia of Historic Forts, Fort White, Oregon Geographic Names, Oregon Military History, Forts-Camps-Roads,