San Antonio Arsenal
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
San Antonio Arsenal (1859-1949) - A U.S. Federal Arsenal established in 1858 in San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas. The Arsenal was moved to Camp Stanley in 1931 and the site was abandoned by the U.S. Army in 1949.
San Antonio Arsenal History
The Arsenal was located in San Antonio on a site selected by Captain R.H.K. Whiteley. Construction began in 1859 and by the start of the U.S. Civil War the magazine, office building and armorer shop were under construction. Confederate forces took control of the arsenal in 1861 and the arsenal supplied Confederate forces throughout the U.S. Civil War. Federal forces resumed control of the arsenal in November of 1865 and continued the construction. Expansion continued over the years and by 1920 the arsenal had forty-four buildings. The Arsenal was moved out of the city to Camp Stanley in 1931 but the U.S. Army kept control of the site until it was deactivated in 1947.
Much of the arsenal grounds is now the company headquarters for the H.E.B. Corporation. The 1883 Arsenal Commanders Quarters is part of a 2.7 acre city park and is used as a senior center for the community.
Location: San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas.
Maps & Images
Lat: 29.417055 Long: -98.494694
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 776
Visited: 23 Nov 2011
San Antonio Arsenal Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!