Redoubt Johnson (1863-1866) - A U.S. Civil War Redoubt established in 1863 as a part of Fortress Rosecrans in present day Murfreesboro, Rutherford County, Tennessee. Named Redoubt Johnson after Brigadier General USV Richard W. Johnson, (Cullum 1436). The Redoubt was abandoned in 1866 after the end of the war.
History of Redoubt Johnson
After the Union army occupied Murfreesboro, Tennessee in January 1863, Major General William S. Rosecrans, (Cullum 1115), Commander of the Army of the Cumberland, gave his chief engineer Brigadier General USV James St. Clair Morton, (Cullum 1495), the job of designing and constructing what became Fortress Rosecrans. Morton planned a large enclosed fortification of over 200 acres that occupied both the north and south sides of the Stones River at Murfreesboro and included an important road junction and a rail line.
Redoubt Johnson and the other three redoubts at Fortress Rosecrans were earthworks, each containing a central cross-shaped blockhouse that provided a final stronghold in case the works were overrun. Each redoubt was considered a fort in itself and the defense plan indicated that each should be manned continuously with doors barred and with sufficient numbers to defend it. The commander was to be held responsible for a vigorous resistance to any enemy attack.
An inspection report dated 14 Jan 1864 indicated that the battery at Redoubt Johnson was under the command of Lieutenant William Pool, 87th Indiana and was armed with four rifled 24 pounders.
Redoubt Johnson was abandoned in 1866 after the end of the war when Fortress Rosecrans was abandoned.