Pyote Air Force Station
Pyote Air Force Station (1957-1963) - A Cold War Air Force Radar Station first established in 1957 near Pyote, Ward County, Texas. Named Pyote Air Force Station after the location. Initially assigned a Permanent ID of TM-186. Abandoned in 1963.
Established in 1957 and became operational in 1959 as Pyote Air Force Station manned by the 697th AC&W Squadron. The station initially had both a Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) and early warning mission. The early warning mission involved tracking and identifying all aircraft entering their airspace while the GCI mission involved guiding Air Force interceptors to any identified enemy aircraft. Controllers at the station vectored fighter aircraft at the correct course and speed to intercept enemy aircraft using voice commands via ground-to-air radio.
Operations were discontinued on 1 May 1963. Pyote AFS and the 697th were deactivated on 1 Aug 1963.
The physical plant of the site was divided into the main site, a cantonment area, a housing area and a radio site. The main site housed the operations buildings, the radar towers, and the backup generators. The cantonment area housed the enlisted barracks, the bachelor officer's quarters, the orderly room, the dining hall, the motor pool and other support buildings. Apart from the main site was a small 27 unit housing area for married personnel. A separate Ground to Air Transmitter/Receiver (GATR) radio site housed the radio equipment for directing aircraft intercepts.
Abandoned as a Radar Station and in private hands in Ward County, Texas.
Visited: 26 Nov 2017