Prince Edward Battery
Prince Edward Battery (1805-1905c) - Prince Edward Battery was a British colonial coastal gun battery at Charlottetown, Queens County, Prince Edward Island, Canada. Deactivated circa 1905. Also known as Fort Edward (2).
Prince Edward Battery History
Part of the Harbor Defense of Charlottetown.
Originally known as Tartar's Wharf Battery and located at the foot of Great George Street. This battery was renamed Prince Edward Battery in 1799 and moved to a new battery site on Governor's Point in 1805. Originally armed with four 12-pounder cannons it was upgraded to four 18-pounders by the start of the War of 1812 and the site included a stockade and gunner's quarters. The battery was abandoned in 1855 when the guns were removed.
The battery was reactivated in 1865 in response to the Irish Fenian threat with three 9-pounder guns and a new masonry powder magazine. In 1866, three naval 32-pounder guns with ship style wooden carriages were added.
By 1883 the battery was described as "entirely useless" and it was rebuilt in the 1880s and 1890s with new gun platforms and renovated powder magazine. In the early 1900s the guns were upgraded to the already outdated 64-pounder RML guns. The battery was deactivated circa 1905.
Nine period guns six of which are on period mounts are in place. Three 9-pounder cannons are mounted on iron garrison carriages while three 32-pounder smooth bore guns are mounted on wood shipboard type carriages. Three 60/32-pounder RML guns are displayed on hemlock cribbing. The 1867 magazine has been restored.
Visited: 10 Jul 2013