Mission Santa Ines
Mission Santa Ines (1804-1834) - A Spanish mission established in 1804 by Father Estevan Tapis in present day Solvang, Santa Barbara County, California. Associated with the Presidio of Santa Barbara. Named for Saint Agnes of Rome, a fourth century martyr. Secularized in 1834. Also known as Mission Santa Ynez.
The Spanish Period (1769-1821)
The Spanish period began in California with the building of Mission San Diego de Alcala, and the Presidio of San Diego in 1769. The Spanish Presidio provided a support system for the attached missions that included military troops. The mission provided provided a complete community for the converted native peoples that included agriculture and industry activities as well as religious instruction and services. Typically a very limited military presence was maintained at the missions and the presidio acted as the garrison for the surrounding missions. The Mission Santa Ines was founded on 17 Sep 1804, by Father Estevan Tapis, as the 19th of twenty-one Spanish missions founded in California.
The mission buildings were built between 1804 and 1807 in a standard 350' square enclosed quadrangle. In 1810 five double houses were built to house the soldiers and their families along with a guardhouse and storeroom
The Mission was heavily damaged by an earthquake on 21 Dec 1812. The church was mostly destroyed and had to be rebuilt but the mission itself was not relocated like Mission La Purisima. The new church and other replacement buildings were dedicated on 4 Jul 1817.
Mexican Period (1822-1846)
The Mexican period began with the end of the Mexican Revolution around 1820. Mexican troops occupied the presidios and Mexican governors ran the province of Alta California. The Mexican government began the process of secularization (turning church lands over to private interests) around 1831 and passed laws in 1833 mandating secularization of all missions in Mexico. Secularization gradually ended church ownership of community property. Most of the missions and presidios were abandoned and fell into disrepair as the lands were redistributed to private owners. Mission Santa Ines was secularized in 1834.
In 1824 a Chumash Indian revolt against harsh treatment by soldiers at the mission caused many of the mission's Indians to leave the mission and reduced the population. The revolt expanded to Mission La Purisima and Mission Santa Barbara but lasted less than a week at Mission Santa Ines. The soldiers garrisoned at Mission Santa Ines were reinforced by soldiers from the Presidio of Santa Barbara during the revolt.
The American Period (1846-Present)
The Mexican War was declared by the U.S. Congress on 11 May 1846 in response to a Mexican attack on U.S. troops in Texas. The declaration of war opened the door for American occupation of California. The American period began when American forces occupied San Diego in 1846. With end of the war, Mexico ceded all of upper California to the Americans in 1848 and a new round of land redistribution began.
On 19 Feb 1853, Archbishop Joseph Sadoc Alemany filed a claim on behalf of the Roman Catholic Church for the return of all former mission lands in the State of California. Ownership of 1,051 acres (for all practical intents being the exact area of land occupied by the original mission buildings, cemeteries, and gardens) was transferred back to the Catholic Church by land patents and proclamations signed by U.S. Presidents between 1855 and 1874. Mission Santa Ines was returned to the Catholic Church in 1862 by President Abraham Lincoln.
Museum and active Catholic Parish Church in Solvang, Santa Barbara County, California.
Visited: 27 Nov 2012