Fort Worth (1)
Fort Worth (1) (1849-1853) - Established 6 Jun 1849 by Captain Ripley A. Arnold (Cullum 973), 2nd U.S. Dragoons and named Camp Worth for Colonel William Jenkins Worth who died on 7 May 1849. The post was designated as a fort in 1849 and then abandoned in 1853.
Fort Worth History
The fort was one of 8 established after the Mexican War along the then western frontier. These forts were built under the command of Gen. George Mercer Brooke and served to establish Federal authority along the frontier. The forts were Fort Inge (1849-1869), Fort Lincoln (1) (1849-1852), Fort Martin Scott (1848-1866), Fort Croghan (1) (1849–1855), Fort Gates (1849-1852), Fort Graham (1849-1853), and Fort Worth (1849-1853).
Camp Worth was first located just below the mouth of the Clear Fork of the Trinity River at the present location of the city of Fort Worth. The post was relocated to the bluff above to avoid river flooding. The post was designated as a Fort on 14 Nov 1849, abandoned on 17 Sep 1853 and the garrison was moved to Fort Belknap.
The Tarrant County Courthouse and other state buildings at Houston and West Belknap streets in Fort Worth now occupy the site of the fort. The period flagpole on the east side of the courthouse is a replica of the original 1849 flagpole. The original flagpole was placed near where the granite DAR marker sits today, in front of the Tarrant County Criminal Courts Building at the corner of West Belknap and Houston streets. The replica was put in place in 1999.
Visited: 6 Nov 2011