Fort Wayne (3)
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Wayne (3) (1838-1842, 1861-1862) - A U.S. Army post established in 1838 as Camp Illinois by Captain John Stewart, 7th U.S. Infantry in present day Watts, Adair County, Oklahoma. Original site abandoned in July 1840 and a new post was established by Lieutenant Colonel Richard B. Mason, 1st U.S. Dragoons and named for General Anthony Wayne. The new site was located near present day Maysville, Delaware County, Oklahoma. The new site was abandoned in 1842. During the U.S. Civil War the post was occupied in 1861 by Confederate forces including Cherokee Colonel Stand Watie and captured by Union troops 22 Oct 1862 in the battle of Fort Wayne.
Fort Wayne (3) History
The post was established on 29 Oct 1838 as Camp Illinois by Captain John Stewart, 7th U.S. Infantry with troops from the abandoned Fort Coffee. The first location was poorly sited and it proved to be a health problem. Captain Stewart and several other people died as a result and the decision was taken to abandon the original site in July 1840. A new post was established by Lieutenant Colonel Richard B. Mason, 1st U.S. Dragoons and named Fort Wayne for General Anthony Wayne 20 Jul 1840. The new site was located near present day Maysville, Delaware County, Oklahoma. The new site was abandoned on 26 May 1842 and the garrison removed to Fort Scott, Kansas.
During the U.S. Civil War the post was occupied in 1861 by Confederate forces including Cherokee Colonel Stand Watie's regiment. The Confederate forces were quickly routed in the 22 Oct 1862 battle of Fort Wayne and the post was captured by Union troops.
One marker, no remains, sites on private property, Adair County & Delaware County Oklahoma.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry:
- Name: Fort Wayne Type: Historical Class: Locale ID: 1804114
- Location: Adair County, Oklahoma, US, FIPS Code: 40001
- Latitude: unk, Longitude: unk, Elevation: unk Map: unk
- As Of: 28 Jan 1999
- Source: U.S. Board on Geographic Names
Site 1 - Adair County, Oklahoma
Maps & Images
Lat: 36.104968 Long: -94.575241
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 658-659
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2,page 128
- North American Forts - Fort Wayne
- Wikipedia - Fort Wayne (Indian Territory)
- Oklahoma Digital Library - Fort Wayne
- Wikipedia - Battle of Old Fort Wayne
Fort Wayne (3) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!