Fort Waverly (1863-1865) - Established in 1863 as a Federal U.S. Civil War fort guarding the Northwestern Military Railroad between Johnsonville and Nashville. The fort was the headquarters of the 13th U.S. Colored Troops from the winter of 1863 until the end of the war in 1865. Also known as Waverly Fort.
Fort Waverly History
During the early years of the war Waverly was a popular spot for Confederate resistance. Confederates harassed Union sympathizers, cut telegraph lines, threatened river traffic and skirmished with Union troops. When General William S. Rosecrans (Cullum 1115) took command of the Union army in Nashville in 1882 he ordered that Waverly should be occupied. The 8th Iowa Cavalry and the 1st Kansas Battery were assigned to Waverly.
The 12th Colored Troops helped finish the Northwestern Military Railroad from Johnsonville to Nashville. Waverly became their headquarters and camp as they protected the railroad until the end of the war.
In 1870, 2nd Lt. James N. Nolan of the 1st Kansas Battery returned to Waverly and built his home next to the fort. The home and the fort are now part of Humphrey's County Museum & Civil War Fort.
Fort Waverly Park in Waverly, Humphreys County, Tennessee.
Visited: 14 May 2016, 25 Jul 2014
Fort Waverly Picture Gallery