Fort Tryon (1776-1783) - A Patriot Revolutionary War Fort established as Forest Hill Redoubt in 1776 in New York City, New York County, New York. Captured by the British in 1776 and renamed Fort Tryon after Sir William Tryon, the last British Governor of the Province of New York. Abandoned as a fortification in 1783 at the end of the war.
History of Fort Tryon
On 16 Nov 1776 the redoubt was attacked by a force of 3,000 Hessian soldiers under the command of Lieutenant General Wilhelm Knyphausen. The redoubt was defended by Colonel Moses Rawlings and 250 Maryland and Virginia riflemen and armed with two six-pounder cannons manned by the Pennsylvania Artillery. The redoubt and nearby Fort Washington were overwhelmed by the superior British forces. The fall of these and other fortifications in the area resulted in the capture of some 3,000 Patriot soldiers and the loss of Manhattan Island to the British.
In 1778-79 the British built a larger, more substantial fort on the redoubt site and added a barracks. The new fort was named Fort Tryon after Sir William Tryon, who became the last British Governor of the Province of New York. With the evacuation of New York by the British on 25 Nov 1783 the fort became a patriot fortification again.
Abandoned as a fortification in 1783 at the end of the war.
Some remains in Fort Tryon Park, New York City, New York. A central plaza marks the site of the fort with a flagpole, observation site and memorial plaques. Remains of the fort can be seen about the park.