Fort Slocum (1)
Fort Slocum (1) (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Fort built by the 2nd Rhode Island Infantry in Northwest Washington DC. Named for Colonel John S. Slocum, who was killed at the First Battle of Bull Run on 21 Jul 1861. Abandoned after the end of the war in 1865.
History of Fort Slocum
Construction began in the fall of 1861. The fort had 25 guns and mortars and commanded the intersection of the left and right forks of Rock Creek Church Road (near today's New Hampshire Avenue and McDonald Place). The fort also provided support for Fort Stevens (2) to the west and Fort Totten (2) to the south.
A 17 May 1864 report from the Union Inspector of Artillery noted the following: "Fort Slocum, Lieut. Col. R. C. Benton commanding.–Garrison, two companies First Vermont Artillery–l lieutenant-colonel, 10 commissioned officers, 1 ordnance-sergeant, 280 men. Armament, six 10-pounder Parrotts, three 24-pounder barbette, three 24-pounder siege, four 24-pounder F. D. howitzers, two Coehorn mortars, one 10-inch mortar, seven 4_-inch (rifled). Magazines, three; dry and in good condition. Ammunition, full supply and in good order. Implements, complete and in good order. Drill in artillery, fair. Drill in infantry, fair. Discipline, fair. Garrison not of sufficient strength."
The fort was abandoned after the end of the war in 1865.
Today the field gun battery and rifle-pits are badly eroded, but remains are visible in Fort Slocum Park, bounded by Kansas Avenue, Blair Road, and Milmarson Place in Northwest Washington DC.
Location: 99 Oglethorpe Street in Northwest Washington, DC 20011
Maps & Images
Lat: 38.960877 Long: -77.010877
- Cooling, Benjamin F. III and Owen, Valton H. II, Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington, Scarecrow Press, 2009, ISBN 0810863073, ISBN 9780810863071, 334 pages.
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 139
- National Park Service
Visited: 26 May 2013