Fort Selden (2) (1865-1891) - Established on 8 May 1865 by the order of General James H. Carleton. Named after Colonel Henry R. Selden (Cullum 1197). Abandoned in 1891.
Fort Selden (2) History
Established 8 May 1865 at the southern end of the Jordada del Muerto trail near the east bank of the Rio Grande River to protect settlers and travelers.
The post built over two and a half years in a classic rectangular configuration with a central parade, officer's quarters on the north end, enlisted barracks on the south end, the hospital on the west side and support buildings on the east side. The Commanding Officers quarters was situated at the northwest corner of the parade.
Most of the post buildings were built of adobe due to a lack of wood.
Captain Arthur MacArthur was the post commander from 1884 to 1886 and his son, General Douglas MacArthur spent part of his youth here.
The post was abandoned in 1878 and used as a mail station until re-garrisoned in 1880 to protect railroad construction workers. Abandoned again 20 Jan 1891 after the hostile Indian threat ended.
Fort Selden State Monument.
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 529-530.
- Frazer, Robert W., Forts of the West, University of Oklahoma Press, Norman OK, 1965, ISBN 0-8061-1250-6, page 102-103.
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 104.
- Post returns available May 1865 - Jan 1891 at Ancestry.com (by Subscription)
Visited: 4 Mar 2010
Fort Selden (2) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!
Fort Selden Entrance Sign
Fort Selden Visitor Center
Fort Selden Covered Wagon
Fort Selden Hospital Ruins
Fort Selden Soldier Statue
Fort Selden NCO Quarters Ruins