Fort Schuyler (1)

From FortWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Fort Schuyler (1) (1833-1934) - A Third System coastal defense fort built on Throggs Neck peninsula, New York. Construction began in 1833 and the fort was dedicated in 1856 when it was 75% complete. Named after General Philip Schuyler, Major General in the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War, United States Senator from New York, who died in 1804. The last garrison was removed from the Fort on 1 May 1934.

Fort Schuyler, Bldg. 1, 1878 Commanding Officer Qtrs
Fort Schuyler, Bldg. 22, 1883 Hospital (18 to 24 Beds)
Fort Schuyler Aerial View 1924


Part of the Harbor Defense of Eastern New York. Fort Schuyler and Fort Totten were both established as Third System to protect New York City from a sea attack by closing the western end of Long Island Sound.

Built-in the French style, the fort was meant for both land and sea defense and could accommodate a garrison of 1,250 men. Between 1845 and 1856, 312 seacoast and garrison guns, 6 field pieces, and 134 heavy guns were installed.

The fort itself was built in an irregular pentagon with granite brought from Greenwich, Connecticut. Three bastions faced the water side of Throggs Neck and, on the land side, a drawbridge and tunnel provided the entrance to the fort.

U.S. Civil War

During the later years of the U.S. Civil War, 1864-65, Fort Schuyler was used to house up to 500 Confederate prisoners of war.

Endicott Period

Fort Schuyler, Bldg. 40, 1892 Mess Hall (200 men)

Modernization of the fort began in 1896 during the Endicott Period and several batteries of large caliber coastal defense guns were installed and the coastal artillery garrisoned the fort. The last garrison was removed on 1 May 1934 and the property was transferred to the State of New York effective 30 Jun 1934.

Fort Schuyler Plan
Fort Schuyler (1) Endicott Period Battery (edit list)
Click on Battery links below
No. Caliber Type Mount Service Years Battery Cost Notes
Battery Gansevoort 2 12" Disappearing 1899-189?-1900-1935 $ 93,442
Battery Hazzard 2 10" Disappearing 1896-1898-1898-1930 $ 74432
Battery Bell 2 5" Balanced Pillar 1899-1900-1900-1917 $ 15,223
Battery Beecher 2 3" Masking Parapet 1898-1900-1900-1920 $ 8,012
Source: CDSG

Current Status

Between 1934 and 1938, the fort was converted into the New York Public Nautical School and that college still occupies the site. In 1948, that school became the State University of New York Maritime College. The restoration of the fort has continued since 1934.

Location: Throgs Neck, New York.

Maps & Images

Lat: 40.80525 Long: -73.791561

GPS Locations:

See Also:



Visited: No

Personal tools