Fort Rosalie (1716-1799) - A French post established in 1716 by the governor of Louisiana, Jean-Baptiste Le Moyne de Bienville, in present day Natchez, Adams County, Mississippi. Named for the duchess of Pontchartrain who was the wife of the French minister of marine. Burned by Indians in 1729. Taken over and rebuilt by the British after the French & Indian War and renamed Fort Panmure. The post was occupied by American forces during the Revolutionary War but retaken by the British in 1782 and then surrendered to the Spanish on Sept. 22, 1783 and occupied by them until 1798. Occupied by Americans in 1798 but abandoned when Fort Adams (3) was completed in 1799. Also known as Fort les Natchez, Post at Natchez, Natchez Post, Fort Sargent and Fort Panmure.
Site located behind the Rosalie House in Natchez, Adams County, Mississippi.