Fort Putnam (1)
Fort Putnam (1) (1778-18??) - First established in 1778 as a Revolutionary War fort at Fortress West Point, Orange County, New York. Established by Colonel Rufus Putnam, 5th Massachusetts Infantry and named after him. Rebuilt and enlarged in 1794 as a First System fort, abandoned as a military post sometime in the early 1800s. Not infrequently referred to in West Point literature as "Fort Put".
Revolutionary War (1775-1783)
Part of Fortress West Point.
Fort Putnam was a Revolutionary War fort built on Crown Hill at West Point to protect Fort Clinton and the plain below from a land attack. Construction began on 11 Apr 1778 as one of two principal forts, designed to withstand a 10 day siege. Ramparts originally constructed with dry stone masonry later reinforced with lime mortar. Interior included three casemates, two bomb proofs and a provision magazine. Garrison planned at 420 men most to be housed in tents and huts outside the fort. Armed in 1780 with five 18 pounders, two 12 pounder, two 6 pounders, one 4 pounder and four 5.5" mortars.
Abandoned as a military post sometime in the early 1800s.
Must See! Located on the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York. Restored in 1909 and refurbished in 1975-1976. Current site is only accessible by guided tour. Site includes period cannons mounted in place on period carriages. Exceptional visitor center and museum located at the post entrance below. On active Military installation and access may be restricted.
Visited: 20 Aug 2010