Fort Pickett (1941-Present) - First established in 1941 as Camp Pickett (2). Named after Confederate General George E. Pickett (Cullum 1330), U.S. Civil War veteran, famous for Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg. Renamed Fort Pickett in 1974. Active Virginia National Guard installation.
Late in 1941 the property for Camp Pickett (2) was identified and prepared for construction. Camp Pickett (2) expanded rapidly after U.S. entry into World War II. Railroad tracks were run to the camp in and a four runway airfield was completed in 1942. Toward the end of 1942, more than 1,400 buildings had been completed, 1,000 enlisted barracks and 70 officer's quarters plus all of the support buildings required for the 60,000 troop population. By war's end, 300 additional buildings had been constructed, including female barracks and two prisoner of war camps. All of these buildings were temporary construction.
After the war, the role of Camp Pickett (2) shifted to support of National Guard and reserve components. It was not until 1974 that Camp Pickett (2) became Fort Pickett and the first permanent brick building was built on the post. A ten-year building program resulted in a permanent brigade-sized post by 1984.
The regular Army garrison at Fort Pickett was inactivated in 1997 and the post was turned over to the Virginia National Guard.
An active Virginia Army National Guard installation since 1997.