Fort Nichols (1865-1865) - A U.S. Army post first established in 1865 by Colonel Kit Carson, 1st New Mexico Infantry, in Cimarron County, Oklahoma. Probably named after Captain Charles P. Nichols, 1st California Cavalry. Abandoned late in 1865. Also known as Camp Nichols.
Fort Nichols History
A U.S. Army post established 1 Jun 1865 by Colonel Kit Carson, 1st New Mexico Infantry, in Cimarron County, Oklahoma. This stone post was built to protect and was located adjacent to the Cimarron Cut-off of the Santa Fe Trail and the deep wagon ruts can still be see nearby.
The post was abandoned on or about 22 Sep 1865.
Off road location two miles north of Wheeless, Cimarron County, Oklahoma. Stone ruins remain. Private property not accessible to the public. Roadside marker located on Hwy 325 about seven miles from the location, see the map point.